The museum is located at Jl. Diponegoro No. 57 was founded on May 16, 1928. this museum was renovated with funds from JICA (Japan International Cooperation Agency) and was officially reopened by the first vice-president Megawati Sukarnoputri on August 23, 2000. as a historic monument, the museum store and manage an abundance of geological materials, such as fossils, rocks, minerals, gathered during fieldwork in Indonesia since 1850 .
Geology Museum initially serves as a research tool but also function as a means of education, provision of various information about earth science, and tourism objects. The shift function of the museum is in tune with the technological advances made geological museum as:
– Place outside of school education relating to the earth and its preservation efforts.